This is a delicious recipe from the Tobermory Fish Company that makes 10 pancakes for a starter or 24 miniature pancakes for canapés.
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 100g caster sugar
- A splash of milk
- A bunch of fresh dill and chives
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp of horseradish sauce
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- 200g Tobermory smoked trout
- Add the sugar and flour to a bowl, then add the eggs and whisk.
- The mixture will be very thick at first but add the milk bit by bit to thin it slightly.
- Aim for the consistency of a thick batter.
- Chop the herbs finely and add to the mixture (saving some chives to garnish at the end).
- Stir well to distribute the herbs evenly.
- Heat a non-stick heavy frying pan to a medium-high heat.
- Spoon in a bit of the mixture one at a time to make the pancakes.
- The size is up to you but Sally recommends mini canapé sizes.
- The pancakes are ready to be flipped over when air bubbles become visible on the top of the mixture.
- Flip over to quickly cook the other side for a few more seconds.
- When ready, lay the pancakes on a serving platter.
- Mix the horseradish and creme fraiche together and spread on all the pancakes.
- Add a nice ribbon of smoked trout to the top of each one.
- Sprinkle over the remaining chives and a grind of black pepper.
- Serve immediately with wedges of lemon.
The Tobermory Fish Company is an award-winning, family-run business on the Island of Mull with a strong family and island heritage passed through three generations.
For nearly 50 years the company has been producing foods of the highest quality, using fish and shellfish from the very best local and Scottish suppliers.
Thank you for the delicious recipe!